Smooth skin is a beauty standard across various cultures and ethnicities, however, it seems that the cosmetic industry is behind at times. If long-lasting hair reduction is your goal, here’s what you need to know about the safest laser hair removal for Indian Skin in Reston, VA!
Why Is Laser Hair Removal Risky for People of Color? (Spoiler Alert: It’s Not Anymore!)
Laser hair removal (LHR) is one of the latest aesthetic treatments to catch up with the modern world and become inclusive for all skin colors, but this wasn’t the case not that long ago.
Many laser systems, especially older versions, target the hair follicle using the pigment it contains called melanin. Because these systems focus on the melanin and not the follicle itself, they were unable to differentiate between skin and hair. This is what posed many risks to men and women of color.
Burns, blisters, hyperpigmentation, and/or scarring were the worst-case scenario, and it still wasn’t as effective. Because of this, choosing the right laser system is a must.
What Is the Best Laser Hair Removal System for Indian Skin?
There are five types of lasers used for hair reduction, and each of them has its own unique purpose. This includes alexandrite, diode, Nd:YAG, and ruby, as well as intense pulsed light (IPL), which technically isn’t a laser but is a light-based option for hair reduction.
Currently, Nd:YAG and diode lasers are recommended for medium to deep skin tones, whereas alexandrite, IPL, and ruby are best for lighter tones.
Because Indian skin includes various tones and depths, it’s important that you consult with a board-certified medical professional who specializes in LHR and determine the appropriate laser system for you based on your traits.
Are At-Home Laser Devices Safe for Indian Skin? Why or Why Not?
As a general rule, DIY devices for laser treatments should be skipped, especially if you are a person of color. They’re simply not as versatile, nor do they undergo vigorous testing and clinical trials to ensure that they’re safe.
Most of these at-home laser devices use short wavelengths that aren’t effective for thicker hair, and especially aren’t safe if you have a medium to dark skin color. It’s best to skip it and opt for professional services instead.
What Are the Top Tips for Successful Laser Hair Removal for All Skin Tones?
Achieving safe and effective laser hair removal for Indian skin in Reston, VA is actually quite simple if you follow these tips recommended by experts.
- Research your laser technician, and be sure they have extensive experience treating patients who look like you.
- Have a consultation to determine which laser system is right for you. Additionally, don’t forget to do a patch test in a discreet area.
- Do not wax, tweeze, or use an epilator in the treatment area before LHR. This is because you want to keep the hair follicle intact.
- Make sure to gently shave 24 to 48 hours before your appointment, and feel free to shave in between sessions.
- Limit your UV exposure before and after sessions. You can do this by wearing protective clothing and sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Commit to your treatment plan, which can include a minimum of six sessions spaced four to eight weeks apart.
Your Search for the Best Laser Hair Removal for Indian Skin in Reston, VA Ends Here at Generations Medical Aesthetics!
Our team prioritizes inclusive treatments that are safe and beneficial for everyone, which is just one reason why we have so many happy patients! Achieving hairless, baby-soft skin is easier than you think. Call us at 703-439-1104 to book your consultation!